Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Friday, August 05, 2005

What was I doing ten years ago?

This was the first question in the list that Leslie had for me, and as the list is fairly long, it was suggested to me by another friend that maybe if I answered each question in a separate post folks might be more apt to take the time to read them then if I listed them all together in one post. Do you suppose she was trying to tell me that I can be longwinded at times? {g}

Ten years ago . . . . . hmmm . . . . . 1995 . . . . It was a busy year, and a difficult one. I was still working part time at a local doctor's office, sharing the regular household chores and the care of our two horses, dog and cat with DD here at home during the week. Throughout the spring and summer that year I became a 'carpenter's helper' on the weekends as DH and I worked on our cottage in the deep woods of Upper Clyde. We managed to get it finished enough to use shortly before the end of August and our first night there was spent listening to coyotes howl as they hunted around us. Kind of scary, but we were fine, and well protected by our snoring Irish Setter, Red. {g}

I was still trying very hard that year to accept the fact of losing both of my parents to cancer just four and a half years apart. It continues to be an ongoing battle.

We sold Meggie that summer. That was heartbreaking . . . . . . but DD was no longer Eventing in the Annapolis Valley and she was far too good a horse to leave grazing in the pasture for the rest of her life. Maritime Misty Megan . . . . a Morgan . . . . she was one of the most athletic horses I've ever seen. Watching her do the 'airs above the ground' all by herself in the pasture was a sight to behold. She was sold to a wonderful family where she remains to this day and we still get to see her occasionally when we are up that way.

During that year I began to consider the possiblity of bringing a Basenji into my life again. Little did I know what adventures lay ahead of me when I did actually do so three years down the road, but that's another story for another time.

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2005 9:23:00 p.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Ten years ago seems like a tough time for most people; thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home