Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Friday, July 22, 2005

Chicken scratch or what ?


This is a piece from a bag of 'old stuff' that my DH's aunt asked me if I wanted a couple of years ago from her mother's treasures. Lately I've been admiring all the chicken scratch and vintage items that Linda and other handcraft ladies have been showing on their blogs and websites, and thought maybe someone out there could tell me exactly what sort of handwork this is? And also what would it be used for? TIA As time allows I will take photos and post other pieces from the 'bag of old stuff.'

7 Comments:

At Friday, July 22, 2005 8:47:00 a.m., Blogger Linda said...

This piece has blown me away - it has some elements of Chicken Scratch, but is missing others. But has what appears to be Needle Weaving.

Would love to hear an estimate of how old it is, and to see what else is in the "other old stuff".

Linda

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 10:14:00 a.m., Blogger Grangry said...

My goodness, that's complicated! Never seen anything like it!

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 4:09:00 p.m., Blogger Linda said...

Hi Dawn - I am wondering - do you have a scanner??? And, if you do, would it be possible for you to post a scan of some of those crosses and circles??? I think I have worked out what they are and how they are done, but it would still be wonderful to see them.

And, was your DH's grandmother known to be a dedicated needlewoman??? Or lace-maker, or anything like that???

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 4:30:00 p.m., Blogger Ulla said...

This seems to be a bit complicated.I hope Linda or someone could help us.Very nice piece of "embroidery".Looking forward learning more.

Ulla in the north of Sweden

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 5:47:00 p.m., Blogger sharonb said...

yes its a most unusual piece has my eyes popping too - its a mix of chicken scratch needleweaveing and laid work I think ... really different

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 6:12:00 p.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you Ladies, for your comments! Yes Linda, I do have a scanner. Will see if I can get you girls a closer look. I'm not certain who may have been done this piece or the age, but I will ask if anyone in the family knows and get back to you on that.

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005 9:07:00 p.m., Blogger z_mnor said...

This is a very beautiful piece indeed!

Zalita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home