Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Another Poem

By now I'm sure that everyone has ascertained that I love poetry. Here is one that I wrote early in the day as the rains continued to fall last week.

Raining again . . .
So I checked out a leaf
Lifted the edge
And peeked underneath.

Do you think what I saw
Was really a surprise . . .
As I blinked and refocused on
What met my eyes?

There, swinging on silvery latches and limbs,
Was a big old black spider
Sporting the most 'enchanting' grin.

"Hello," said he.

"Good morning," said I.
"What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for flies."

- Dawn Donaldson Copyright 2005

I don't think that I'll be remembered in the future for that one. Still, they're fun to do occasionally. Maybe that's what all those spiders are doing on those crazy quilts . . . . . . they're on 'fly catching duty' for the quilt owners. The one and only spider that I've done on a block is affectionately known as the 'square bottomed spider.' :-)

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:51:00 p.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Here I am not admired for my affinity to spiders. This is an old house and they show up in distressing places, since I have a pretty lenient live and let live attitude. Love the poem!

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:35:00 p.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Glad you enjoyed the poem Leslie. Though I've written about them and think they're great on crazy quilts and such, I'd really much prefer that they stay outside.

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:40:00 a.m., Blogger Sharon said...

I liked the poem too Dawn... Like Leslie I don't have a great affinity to spiders - I think it is the fact that they have more legs than I do and can run far more quickly...

I also like the name of your blog... I feel like that at the moment since I have found all these wonderful CQ sites... I am definitely wandering...S

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 8:58:00 p.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Hello Sharlee . . . Glad you liked the poem. Also glad that you like the name of my blog. I felt that it fit me and my life quite well. If you look at a CQ block doesn't it remind you of a 'wandering' of a sort? You wander from one fabric to another and one embellishment to another, and so on and so on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home