Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Book meme

Still haven't gotten to that book meme because I keep getting lost in a book . . . . Really! I do that a lot ya know . . . . but it's a pleasant sort of being lost . . . . . . today I've been wandering in Readings - From English - And - American Literature by Walter Taylor Field, copyright, 1919. Neat portraits of each author too. I've also had my nose in a couple more lately . . . . some are here on my computer desk, along with Webster's Dictionary . . . . . Historical Sketches of Glenwood and the Argyles, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia by Jackson Ricker. This is a 1941 copy which had been previously owned by my DH's great-grandfather, Roy S. Goodwin, and has now passed to us. The Chestnut Pipe, Folklore of Shelburne County by Marion Robertson is still here, and Hidden Secrets of the Eastern Star by Dr. Cathy Burns. Behind me on my mother's old treadle sewing machine sits Thoreau On Man & Nature, On Holy Ground by Charles Stanley, Birds by Robert Bateman, Vavra's Cats by Robert Vavra (which is a treasured gift from a fellow Basenji lover and dear friend), and Wolves by Leonard Lee Rue III. Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman, Always a Springtime by Helen Steiner Rice, and My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers are also there. Across the room in the dining area I like to keep a couple more books handy . . . . What I Like In Poetry by William Lyon Phelps and The River Congo by Peter Forbath. On another stand in the sitting area keeping my knitting company are The Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds, Dog's Best Friend by Birr, Krakauer, and Osiander, The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, No Room in the Ark by Alan Morehead, Tartans by Brenda Ralph Lewis, and Leaning into the Wind and Woven on the Wind both compiled by Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier, & Nancy Curtis. All these, and not to mention the two stacks of crazy quilting, embroidery, and various handcraft books on the floor; and this is just one room in the house. Every room contains books.

4 Comments:

At Friday, March 03, 2006 2:24:00 p.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Sounds like my house. Love the titles!

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:46:00 a.m., Blogger cyndy said...

that is my kind of meme...a book for every mood! Some of your titles I know...others like Tartans by Brenda Ralph Lewis, and Leaning into the Wind and Woven on the Wind both compiled by Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier, & Nancy Curtis, I have not heard of but want to make note to order from the library! PS..The Chestnut Pipe is still on order with the intra library...

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:08:00 p.m., Blogger Sharon said...

This sounds like my house Dawn... One would never be short of something to read here... And I think we could pretty well cater for everyone...

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 7:45:00 a.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Interesting, isn't it ladies . . . how so many of us read such a variety of books?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home