Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Along the old Crowelltown road


As we leave the main highway to reach the old Crowelltown road we must first go through a short section where some woodsmen are gathering their logs together to be hauled off to the mill. Where the old road comes out is quite overgrown so this is the only way to join up with it nowadays. On Saturday morning we had to wait for this tree farmer to finish unloading and move back into the woods before we could continue through. They can certainly move a lot of wood around in a short time.


As we moved along the low section of the road Shel stopped so I could get a shot of this sweeping visa. Snowcovered saltmarsh running out to meet the Argyle River, and the tree covered shore across the river with houses scattered along the village of Argyle Head.





From the low area we climbed up the side of a drumlin and on one we followed an old trail to the top where we sat and admired the view down river.








Back up the trail a ways this old foundation sits in the middle of an old field on top of a drumlin. As I view the ruins and the lone tree sentry, I wonder about the people who lived in this house, and where did they go . . . . Crowelltown was settled by some of my father's people . . . . perhaps this house and property at one time had belonged to some of my ggggggrandparents. (Or however many ggg's back it may be.)

It was a cold, blustery day when we went for this ride and I snapped these pictures. No animals or birds around. I'm certain they were safely off in their little hideaways in the sheltered hollows between the drumlins, seeking protection from the winds.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:49:00 a.m., Blogger cyndy said...

I've really been enjoying seeing the photographs and descriptions from your "neck of the wood"...and you are making me want to get that "Chestnut Pipe" book! I would love to have it on tape/CD.

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:46:00 p.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

The information from the books is SO interesting! Amazing how people learned to adapt to the environments and create so many unique ways of taking care of the needs of life! Thanks for sharing.

Lovely pictures; I did the driving in Nova Scotia when we were there and I seem to remember very few roads, really...

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:13:00 p.m., Blogger Dawn said...

The book is interesting Cyndy; however, if you are hoping for more info on the particular subjects that I've posted about, then I'm sorry ..... that is all there is on those subjects.

The human species is quite adaptable, and creative, isn't it? Your memory of there being fewer roads here is correct Leslie. I am constantly amazed when I look at the crisscrossed roads on state maps from the US. Glad you're enjoying the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home