Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Monday, March 20, 2006

Lack of bookshelves ?



In a house of many books there is always, and no doubt will always be, a lack of bookshelves. What did I do? Well, I started thinking outside the box and looked around for possible places to put books. Here are two spaces that I found. In the little corner by the chimney and the brickwork are some of my craft books, protected from any heat from the chimney by a little metal stove, and supported on the other by a rock painted with an African scene by artist daughter, Heather.



The large pedal ( is that the correct word for that part of an old treadle sewing machine? ) was just the right size for holding another pile of craft books.

6 Comments:

At Monday, March 20, 2006 8:30:00 a.m., Blogger cyndy said...

Mind if I snitch your idea?...I have an empty treadle that just may have to become a bookshelf!

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 8:58:00 a.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Of course not Cyndy. Go ahead! It's a usable space that normally is vacant 99.9% of the time right?!

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:45:00 a.m., Blogger Saija said...

when i was packing for the big move, i started sorting my books ... now my books are like my babies - BUT i do want others to READ them too ... soooo, i divied them up to family/friends/library .. now i have about 40% less books ... but no house to put them in yet! the search continues!

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:32:00 p.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

There are books everywhere here, too, but not as creatively situated. Great ideas!

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:45:00 p.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Hi Saija! Nice to see you again. That house will no doubt appear when you least expect it. I really need to 'spring clean' my books too; however, I'm afraid that more will be staying than leaving, so I must always be on the lookout for extra 'shelves.'
:-)

Glad you liked the ideas Leslie.

 
At Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:03:00 p.m., Blogger Sharon said...

Dawn - we have just had a culling of books... In our house finding something to read would not be a problem - it is what to do with the book after it is finished is... I just love books!!!! As you know I work in a bookshop and on my days off I browse in bookshops... My kids think I am hopeless and I know that I am... There is nothing like the promise of a new book - whether it be brand new or second hand... We have continual space problems... But I figure that is part and parcel of being a book lover...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home