Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Thursday, February 02, 2006


This is my very first attempt at Crazy Quilting and I thought perhaps I should post the picture before my CQing friends felt that I had 'gone over to the other side' with all the knitting that has been going on around here lately. This practice block is still 'in progress' and I did something too that some say not to do . . . . I put pattern against pattern, instead of having a plain fabric in between. Guess it was the 'rebel' coming out in me . . . but hey, why tell us that in CQing there aren't any rules, and then throw that rule in there?! Personally I think it worked in this case . . . and it is after all my block, right?! And I will be doing it again. {gg}



At the moment I am working on another pair of socks and hope to get some pics up soon of the last two pairs that I finished. In between spells of knitting I am 'forced' to do housework and cook meals . . . . even bake the odd sweet or two. Lately I've made a couple of Washington Pies that didn't last long. Even the crows never managed a nibble off one of those. Poor crows . . . :-( . . . . they do have stiff competition with the ravens, and the grackels (sp?), and the spruce partridges (Ruffed Grouse); not to mention the Wine Brook Cottage house residents who are in line ahead of them. Last April this woodpecker found that he may have to defend his right to peck on this pole for his breakfast. Looks like the 'Glarefight at Poletop' and it seemed a bit unfair as one was working as part of a 'tag team.' Interesting to watch the interaction of the birds; as well as most creatures.

Cya later . . . .

7 Comments:

At Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:16:00 a.m., Blogger Linda said...

Realllly nice. And that rule got thrown out the other day by someone who made something only out of tartan - and that looked really good.

Whateer you make expresses you - not someone else. :)

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:05:00 a.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Lovely work! I'm not very good at rules, either, and your combination is lovely!

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:55:00 a.m., Blogger cyndy said...

Hi Dawn-

That quilt is beautiful...such wonderful handwork!! Rules, Schmules....ya done good!

ps...stop by anytime for tea ;-)

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:59:00 p.m., Blogger Calidore said...

Love your cq block, the colours are so pretty. Forget the rules, they are there to be broken, if you like it then that's all that matters.

PS What are Washington Pies??

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 4:33:00 a.m., Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks Linda! Where can I find a picture of that 'something only out of tartan' please?

Thanks Leslie!

Thanks Cyndy! I should say though that is only a small block; not an actual quilt size.

Thanks Catherine! A Washington Pie is a two-layered white cake with icing and jam in the center and icing on top.

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 6:37:00 a.m., Blogger Maureen said...

Regardless of quoted rules (& I think it was me quoting :-) The block is looking GREAT Dawn!
from memory it was Vivienne at http://anlabyhouse.blogspot.com/
who did a tartan ATC which you would LOVE (I wonder why I think that? VBG)

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 11:29:00 p.m., Blogger Thistle Cove Farm said...

What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL quilt! Congratulations on doing such a wonderful job. May it be the beginning of many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home