Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

. . . some shared writings from Wine Brook Cottage . . .

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Old October

Old October's purt' nigh gone;
And the frosts is comin' on
Little heavier every day -
Like our hearts is thataway !
Leaves is changin' overhead
Back from green to gray and red,
Brown and yeller, with their stems
Loosenin' on the oaks and e'ms ;
And the balance of the trees
Gittin' balder every breeze -
Like the heads we're scratchin' on !
Old October's purt' nigh gone.

I love Old October so,
I can't bear to see her go -
Seems to me like losin' some
Old-home relative er chum -
'Pears like sorto' settin' by
Some old friend 'at sigh by sigh
Was a-passin' out o' sight
Into everlastin' night !
Hickernuts a feller hears
Rattlin' down is more like tears
Drappin' on the leaves below -
I love Old October so !

Can't tell what it is about
Old October knocks me out ! --
I sleep well enough at night --
And the blamedest appetite
Ever mortal man possessed, --
Last thing et, it tastes the best !--
Warnuts, butternuts, pawpaws,
'Iles and limbers up my jaws
Fer raal service, sich as new
Pork, spareribs, and sausage, too. --
Yit, fer all, they's somepin' 'bout
Old October knocks me out !

- James Whitcomb Riley






2 Comments:

At Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:22:00 a.m., Blogger Chey said...

It's pretty bad when one friend has to check another's blog to see if she's still alive and kicking! It has been ages since we've had a chat, and you didn't answer my last email. Hope Shelly's burns are all healed now. Still waiting for news on the job front, too. And you, my dear - still clacking those needles? (I'd love to learn to knit - wish you'd move to NY and teach me!)

Love the poem, by the way!

 
At Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:49:00 a.m., Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Wonderful poem! Hope all is well in the North!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home